Mondays from 6:30 to 8 pm beginning January 14, 2019
Facilitated by Elsa Perez, psychotherapist, drama therapist, couple & family therapist
Body image disturbance is a central feature in eating disorders, as well as often one of the last aspects of the self to recover. As such, Body image work is a critical step in recovery from an eating disorder. This experiential therapy group will aid your recovery by providing you with a space in which you can safely explore your body image and relationship with your body.
Using techniques drawn from mindfulness, creative practice, psychodrama, movement, short talks and group inquiry, this 12-week therapy group will support you in:
- Reengaging with your body through embodiment, movement and play
- Exploring the relationships that have impacted your body image through role play and sculptures
- Externalizing the negative messages regarding body image that come from media and peers
- Learning skills to help you to stop blaming your body and to challenge your cognitive distortions
- Processing many aspects of body image: the body as the birthplace of emotions and, sometimes, the site of trauma
- Learning to relate to your body in a new and different way: through mindful self-compassion
- Grieving the “perfect” body so that you can step into your recovered self
Please see Caroline to sign up.